Thursday, 6 September 2007

Lutradur and lace


Like countless others, I couldn't resist having a go at the Lutradur and Lace techniques in the first issue of Fibre and Stitch - here is my result. I used metallic effects copper paint on the lutradur and then sprayed with the patination fluid. them I daubed some lumiere and some other stuff here andthere. I haven't actually done any stitching yet - the gesso that I put down first, so the metcallic paint had something to stick to, sort of glued the bits to the lutradur. I finally tried zapping it with a heat gun to add to the distressed, patinated look. However, the gesso and layers of paint obviously insulated the lutradur, and nothing much happened. I might have a go on the weekend at a distressed/stitched piece. For now it is off to work, and another tedious all day meeting - tedious, tiring and ultimately pointless, no doubt. Can't wait to retire!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

It's lovely, antique looking. Sandy

Needleroozer said...

It is beautiful! So, let me see if I have this right, because I would like to try it without any stitching- you used gesso, then a layer of paint, and THEN put the scrim and lace on, followed by more paint layers?
Thanks for the clarification,
LB

Hilary Metcalf said...

Sorry - I probably didn't explain it clearly enough. I laid down a coat of gesso on the lutradur, then while it was wet, arranged the lace and scrim on top. I let it dry, then I put on the first layer of metallic effects paint. I had to use a stiff brush to sort of work it through the lace/scrim bits, and it didn't completely cover everything, but as I knew I was going to add other paints later, I didn't worry. I let it dry, then added a second coat of ME paint, then sprayed with patination fluid while still wet. Next day I added other paints and highlights. Hope that is clearer now! Thanks for stopping by!

spunart said...

Good post, thanks for sharing this information.

Buy Evolon