Finally got around to photographing my piecing progress. I got the whole top together from all those half square triangles - it will have to go into the pile awaiting quilting. I am not sure if I mentioned before, but our downstairs isn't really finished, as they ran out of floor tiles - big drama, red faces, much embarassed foot shuffling - the next shipment is supposed to be arriving this week, so hopefully it will get finished soon - until then, I can't set up my quilting frame. I do have about six tops waiting to be quilted now - am quite looking forward to getting to them.
And yes, the picture is a bit wonky - I am still figuring out the best place to hang a quilt around here to photograph. This was hung from an extendable line we put up on the beach side of the house, where it is always a bit breezy, so getting it to hang perfectly straight was a challenge. I have since had a fold down washing line installed at the side of the house, which is where I hung the next top. My builder will be pleased - he keopt grumbling that having laundry strung out at the back of the house (which is the side that faces to road and the beach) made it look like a gypsy encampment. Yes, well, the laundry had to dry somewhere! The new fold down line is in a discreet, but sunny spot on the north side,where no-one but us can see the unmentionables flapping in the breeze.
When I finished the above top I opened another box and found some pink and green blocks which, I think, were left over from a couple of baby quilts I did for friends a while back. So I pulled them out and added various width strips around the blocks to make them BIG - then cut them into fours and reassembled. It still needs borders. I really must brush up on my Photoshop skills and figure out how to fix these photos. I'll add that to my 'to do' list.
I have also been accumulating a satisfying pile of string blocks,well on their way to becoming a top.
I have had my fill of piecing for now - what I am really keen to do is get out my paints and mark making tools and have a play at printing, stamping otherwise making my mark on some of my hand dyed fabric . That will be today's play activity. In preparation, I set a large tray of gelatine so I could do some gelatine plate printing, which I have been dying to try since getting Rayna's book ages ago, but what with moving and everything being packed away, living in the apartment etc, I just haven't had the chance to do - so, today is playday!!
I have been going for a bike ride every afternoon and really noticing things around town. I took the camera yesterday - here are a few of the things that caught my eye.